Thursday, April 5, 2012

Endurance

Not one of my strong suits. In fact, one of my weakest areas when it comes to sports, followed not too far back by not great hand-eye coordination and ball skills. Regardless of the sport, endurance is important though (swimming doesn't care about ball skills).
As I finished up playing an intramural soccer game today in the cold weather (36ºF now, maybe 40º when we played), I realized just how poor my endurance is. I'm still breathing kinda heavy from a game that ended almost 1.5 hours ago. Practice helps us to build up our endurance, but it takes time. So while sports is not something I will ever get a job doing, the goal of my team(s) is to glorify God through playing. For us that involves giving Him the glory for the win or loss, trying our hardest, praying before games, and having good sportmanship (both before, during, and after the game). One of the teams we played this week (that I actually played on against Strive), stated before the game "We could never beat them. They're the holy team." Despite the fact that they/we did win, I think being noticed that our actions are different is a good thing.
Paul told Timothy in his first letter, chapter 4, verse 8 that "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." We are put here to be godly. That has value now and forever while the scores of the game will fade quickly into the past. Glorifying God is something beneficial for everyone and does not require physical endurance but godly endurance to keep seeking God no matter the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment