Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mail

That little bundle of anticipation as you open up the mailbox to see if you got letters then again as you peek up the stairs to see if any packages arrived. I rarely anticipate actually getting mail so each time is a surprise. Plus I pay all of my bills online so I don't really get letters asking for money.
Instead I get junkmail (sometimes for people who lived in this apartment years ago), paychecks (which are always a joy cause I don't track my payperiods much or how much I work), and my personal favorite: letters/cards. I'm lucky to live in a family where my extended family sends cards for each holiday. Not just the big ones, and there's nothing wrong with getting two cards from the same person for the holiday. Little celebrated card holidays such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's Day bring about the smile remembering someone was thinking of me. Even better are the personalized notes inside of the cards or best yet: the few penpal letters that come. (I would get more penpal letters if I responded to them quicker, i.e. not the 6 months it took last time.) I love reading what someone specifically wrote, just for me.
What's super cool (and I'm only using that phrase cause it's late and I need sleep) is that God wrote me 66 letters that I can read whenever I want to. He talks about every subject depending on what I'm interested in that day. And through the Holy Spirit as I read them, it is specifically personalized to fit me and what I need to hear at that time. For example:

7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him.
8 A third time the LORD called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.”
Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”
Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” 1 Samuel 3:7-10

God calls us and lets us know what we are supposed to do. Are we listening and reading His Word?


Note: I am guilty of not spending nearly enough time reading God's Word and need to crack open the Bible in my apartment and spend some awesome time reading His letter to me. Lately, I've just been biblegateway.com ing the verses I have wanted to use and then studied them more in depth. But, my heart desires to read that letter of love and promise He wrote to me and all of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment