Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hannah's Prayer

In 1 Samuel 1:1-20, Hannah prayed earnestly for a son. She prayed so much, without talking, for a son that God granted her the request. She was given what she asked for, but not the first time. It states that for years upon years she went with her husband to the temple to sacrifice and each year she prayed for a child. Finally, after she prayed so intently that the priest Eli thought she was drunk, God answered.
Today as I taught this concept to young students, I recounted the fact that we can pray without speaking outloud. Personally, I love praying silently and find myself praying unceasingly in my mind. If I prayed outloud that often people would think I'm crazy. But God in his infinite wisdom and knowledge has the ability to read our thoughts, whether they are prayers or not. (This is also convicting as God knows even the thoughts of our heart that we don't want to admit to ourselves, let alone say outloud.)
So my challenge to you, and to myself, is to try to pray at all times... Practically: pick one spot (such as the car or walking to class) that you are always going to spend in prayer instead of thinking other thoughts. This whole week talk to God (aloud if you desire) and get to know Him better. Also try to listen some as a conversation is not just you talking all the time; neither should prayer be just us talking to God. Listen to His answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment