This year work has constantly been on my mind. As I work 20-43 hours a week, usually in the 30-40 hour range, with a very variable schedule, I have to remember often what job I'm supposed to be at and when. Each job has it's own perks and I must say that I enjoy them all. I can't imagine hating my job and still doing it... I hope to find a full time job doing what I love (working with kids).
On campus: My job allows me to work with students of all ages, both before and after are in college, and help them with their questions. The office is a go-to spot for most of the College of Education and I love hearing the different stories that students have. Added bonuses are getting to know the faculty and staff of the department and also seeing what I do have a purpose. Plus, I really enjoy supervising students in the field and getting a peek into classrooms all around Western NY.
Substitute teaching: Yes, kids are worse for substitute... it's a long standing tradition and makes it harder to be a sub. This year though, I've been able to be in the classrooms regularly enough that the kids are getting kinda used to seeing me around. When you are a regular substitute, it makes it easier for the teachers and the kids, and for yourself. I've learned how to use many different technologies and computer programs to help with student learning, seen different ways that teachers manage their classrooms, and get to try out different ages and positions to see where I'll fit in the best in the future. I haven't figured out what age I would love to teach yet, but I also don't want to limit myself in this poor job market. I think one of the best parts about being around kids, is when they see you in the hall and smile at you or say hi! Some of the kids, especially those that I student taught and the young kids, also like to give hugs which really makes you think that you are making a difference. They remember (maybe) your name and as far as I can tell have good memories about when I've subbed. Now don't get me wrong, subbing is difficult as you walk into a classroom in the younger grades and have a few minutes, plus lunch and hopefully an early prep, to figure out what you're teaching and how for the a few hours. Teacher plans are so important, but even reading them sometimes takes all of the free time you have. Regardless, I love subbing and seeing the kids learning.
'Tutoring'- A few hours a week I work 1-1 with a student on science. We explore whatever topic is interesting to her that week and I really like building the relationship with her and having the freedom to change the plan at any time. Plus seeing someone young so excited about science and helping to cultivate it is awesome!
So those are my current jobs... I also have my summer job mostly set, but I need to finish the paperwork still.
With all of this being said, I realized last night that I put work ahead of God sometimes. I try to work as many hours as I can, but then cut short my time with God. I can live off frugally off of what I make just working on campus so why do I try to pick up so many subbing jobs? I'm going to instead of having my focus being on trying to get subbing jobs and working there on making sure that I'm having enough time with God, before I add extra work hours to my schedule. The positive thing is that I know my work is a mission field for God and as I work with more students at church who I also sub for, they know that I am a Christian and therefore share that information with their class. I know many of the lines about how to be a Christian teacher and just learned on the radio about The Christian Educators Association International (http://www.ceai.org/ ) which I am now looking into joining so that I can be an informed Christian teacher. God calls us to work, and He calls us to serve Him where ever we are. For me the mission field is both right on campus, and right down the road in the lives of the students that I substitute for. My prayer is that whether they know I'm a Christian or not that they would see it in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment