Uncertain times lead to uncertain measures is a common saying... but I think I like this better in times of uncertainty.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6
God calls us not to worry about the things going on in our life. It doesn't matter where we will be in the future, just where God has us right now. We need to be listening for him to let us know where to go next and what our purpose is. I believe that every place we have a purpose... sometimes we know before we go what that purpose is. Other times we might find out while we are there and sometimes we have to use hindsight to find the reason for it. I know that I am the kind of person who wants to know where I'm going to be and what I'm going to do ahead of time. I dislike having to wait for God to reveal His purpose for my life... yet I push ahead and wait for the better things that are yet to come.
God doesn't make us wait to punish us... we can't handle everything that is to come. The most real and recent example is my summer. If you had told me three weeks ago that this summer I would have the job I have, I never would have believed it nor would I have felt comfortable about even applying for that job. Yet, without applying, God still granted me the job and has shown me throughout the last few days how much of a blessing that job will be to me. He waited and slowly prepared me for it. Another example is my thesis... while community service is extremely important to me I never imagined that I would be doing my thesis on it. If you had asked me as a freshman what I would do my thesis on or how important community service would be to my life, I doubt I would have said community service helps me to show God's love through my life and those around me as we serve the local and foreign people in need. Regardless of what the people around need, I can say that I have been transformed through serving God in the community. He's spoken to me tons, even the many times that I just planned the activity and coordinated rides but could not actually go.
God calls us to be servants at all times and to share His love to the people around us. How, where, and with whom changes as we progress through life, but the basic call is the same.
"Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.' " Matthew 25:18-20
No comments:
Post a Comment