Thursday, February 16, 2012

Community

Ever wonder why we made communities thousands of years ago? Even at the start of Creation, God created the Garden of Eden and put everything that was needed (including two humans) inside of it. He did not spread us out among the earth. Now later, we did move all over the earth, but still in groups. Very rarely does one person survive on their own. We need each other.
Other people in the community help provide food, clothing, transportation, and many other services we need to survive. Without the farmers, I know I would starve. Even our own families are a small community and our neighborhoods are a slightly bigger community. I've been reflecting on my childhood and I know that without my neighborhood, life would have been boring. The support we've shown as we care for the elderly, visit the sick, help the lame, and show love to everyone is amazing. As I typed each of those things I specifically thought of some way that as a neighborhood we did that. I hope to live in a neighborhood very similar to the one I grew up in when I settle down. A safe, loving place for all.
Now college is different... we live cramped into a small space in a forced community. Yet, we have the choice to build our own communities. In Australia, I was blessed to find both a class community, a hall community, and a church community. Without their support, my time would have been vastly different. In the one week alone that I was just a participant in the hall community, I struggled alot; very similar to the first few days of living in any new place. It takes time to adjust to the new place and to build those bonds. At Fredonia, I have been given the incredible gift from God of a Christian community formed primarily within InterVarsity. From the first week on, I've had the support of people older than I am who challenged me to do incredible things I never would have imagined possible. Who would have guess that the quiet freshman who was content just pushing the button on the worship slideshow would be the same person now helping to develop new leaders? That's the power of community at work.
Tonight I spent a lot of time researching (using actual library databases) community service and the impact of being involved in the community. Now I haven't actually read more than the abstracts for any of the articles... that's the next step in my thesis...but community service does have valuable impacts on people. For my own life, I've seen the community and serving it help transform me and those around me. Getting involved over the past few years in the service trip and other community service has helped me to know who is around me and be aware of their needs. Not everything is 'community service' either. Sometimes driving someone where they need to go, helping with a part of an application, or being a listening ear is all that's needed. Being a part of the body of Christ, especially one that is trying to live out Matthew 25:37-40 and Acts 4:20 is amazing.

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:37-40

"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:42-47

In the big ways and the small ways, I am part of the communities I live in both in Fredonia, at home, at work, at school, and around the world as part of the body of Christ. Knowing that you belong to something is vital to growth as you have a role in that place, even if just for a time. Now as I continue to use the connections to the Dunkirk-Fredonia area that I've been building for the last four years and also prepare to move (sometime) to some other community... I know that as long as I am seeking God, with fellow believers, we can change the world. Maybe just a small part of it, but I truly feel that I have impacted the lives of others just as so many have impacted my life. I thank God so much for all of my friends who have touched my life, even if just for a short period of time. It's meant so much to me and I've glad we have the internet to continue to talk to each other (even though the relationship changes). With that being said... I have an interview to become part of a new community tomorrow and should prepare for it. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment